GT_2022_
Returning Member

Georgia State Taxes

I live in Georgia.  My Social Security and Pension Payments were approved in Michigan.  I have never worked in Georgia.  I am Retired through SS Disability and I receive my Michigan State Pension through Disability.  I have been approved for total & Permanent Disability.  I am a 59yrs old Male.

My question is Turbotax has me owing the State of Georgia money.  Through online research, it is my understanding that I am exempt from owing Georgia taxes because I am not yet legal retirement age.  Why did Turbotax still have me owing the State of Georgia?

Thanks!

State tax filing

In the Georgia state tax program you need to click on the Retirement Exclusion and then indicate that you are disabled.

See screen shots -

GA Tax Break.JPG

GA Tax Break 1.JPG

GT_2022_
Returning Member

State tax filing

Thank You!

I have already E-filed my Fed and State!

Do I have to do an amended State?  Or do I have to wait?

I just sent them on the 25th of July.  

State tax filing

@GT_2022_ wrote:

Thank You!

I have already E-filed my Fed and State!

Do I have to do an amended State?  Or do I have to wait?

I just sent them on the 25th of July.  

If the Retirement Income Exclusion amount was not entered on your 2021 Georgia state income tax return on Line 9 of the GA Form 500 then you will need to amend the state return.

Please do not amend the state return until you have either received the state tax refund or the taxes owed and paid by you have been processed by the state.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a state tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/need-amend-state-return/L3hGF...