monica12

Do I need to file in both DC and VA? I live in VA and work in DC, but paid income taxes to VA and know that VA/DC have a reciprocity agreement.

Even though I deleted DC since I don't think I need to file in DC, based on my automatic picture uplad TurboTax is still showing DC as "not yet started", which is what makes me nervous.
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

State tax filing

No.  Since you live in VA and work in DC, you only have to file a VA income tax return.

Don't worry  that the DC return says "not yet started" -- that's just because you had opened the return at one time.  It won't get filed.

You can delete your TurboTax Online state return as long as you haven't paid for it yet (or registered in a free version).

To delete the DC return:

1. Click on State Taxes and then Continue.
  2. On the Status of Your State Returns screen, if the DC return still appears on the list, click on the Delete icon next to it.  (See Screenshot #1, below.)  Once you do this, DC will no longer appear on the list of your state returns.
  3. If you wish to continue working on your VA return, click on the Continue box next to Virginia.
  4. If you have completed your VA return, click on the Done With All States box at the bottom of the screen.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post