Moved from state w income tax to state wo in 2017. Employer continued to withhold state tax until April 2018. State return won't accept 0% allocation of 2018 wages.

I am trying to get the 2018 state tax withheld by my employer in a state with an income tax (where I lived partially in 2017) refunded but Turbotax will not allow me to allocate 0% of 2018 wages to the state (because my federal return indicates I paid state tax in that state). I've tried selecting non-resident, partial resident (but this doesn't make sense as it asks for a move date and I didn't move there or from there in 2018), tried to allocate 0 days, 0% of wages to the state. Nothing works and Turbotax continues to calculate what I would "owe" if I earned my entire 2018 income in the taxed state. What should I do? I should be able to receive the refund in full as I didn't live there at all.

State tax filing

You use the Non-resident state tax return.

Then you indicate zero's for all income in that state.  (my state, NC, allows one to indicate that a particular W-2 is NOT NC income during the non-resident state interview...not sure hat yours may do)

Then you have to indicate you are mail-filing that non-resident state tax return...then take it to the Post Office and mail it in......most states will not allow e-filing for a refund with no income...they want to see the actual forms and W-2's and manually process it.   And, they may send you a letter later to explain your situation further if they have questions...or jsut want to confirm what you are doing..

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*