Why are State Estimated Tax Vouchers showing up on my state review before e-filing

Before e-filing my 2020 taxes I reviewed them & in the .pdf under the state section it is showing an area that has estimated tax vouchers setup to pay in 2021. Why is that there as  I never pay est. taxes. It wasn't on any previous years TurboTax printouts I reviewed before e-filing.  Below is the verbiage. I don't want to e-file & then the state is expecting est. payments from me.

"Estimated | Maryland Estimated Payment Vouchers for 2021 - Do not mail the
Payments to | following vouchers (Form PV (502D)) with your 2020 income tax return.
Make for Next | These vouchers are used to prepay your 2021 income taxes that will be
Year's Return | filed next year.
Mail payments according to the schedule below:
Voucher Number Due Date Amount
1   04/15/2021 $ 224.00
2   06/15/2021 $ 224.00
3   09/15/2021 $ 224.00
4   01/18/2022 $ 224.00
Include a separate check or money order for each payment, payable to  "Comptroller of Maryland". Write your social security number and | "Form PV (502D)" on each check.

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

The program generated the Estimated Vouchers because you owed state tax for 2020, and to help you avoid owing and incurring penalties for 2021.  That information is not reported to the state. Making the estimated payments is optional.  Maryland is not "expecting" those payments.  You can go ahead and file and not be concerned.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

ElanMH

State tax filing

I am not sure how this works. I need some answers. I too have four vouchers on my State return in Georgia for $138 each for Tax Year 2021. I did not notice it until I e-filed. Is it something I did. I did not intend to pay estimated taxes for 2021. Do I need to Amend my return?

ElanMH

State tax filing

Is that also true for the State of Georgia?

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

@ElanMH

Yes, it also applies to Georgia and, no, there’s no reason to think you need to amend your return, or that you’ve done anything wrong. 

As noted above, the program generated the Estimated Vouchers because you owed state tax for 2020, and to help you avoid owing and incurring penalties for 2021.  Making these estimated payments is optional.

The required annual payment to avoid an underpayment penalty for Georgia is the lesser of 

• 70% of current year tax liability, or
  • 100% of prior year tax liability.

For more information, please see the 2021 500-ES Estimated Tax for Individuals and Fiduciaries link on the 500-ES Individual and Fiduciary Estimated Tax Payment Voucher page. 

Susan Allison1
Returning Member

State tax filing

I'm sorry I meant my state tax. I didn't sign them and have no idea what my return is.

Can you please connect me to the right department.

Thank you

State tax filing

@Susan Allison1   You have added on to a year old post.  What is your problem or question?  I don't understand your post.

State tax filing

estimated tax vouchers federal or state would be computed by Turbotax because you don't have enough withholding. these are for the 2022 tax year generally due 4/15/2022,6/15/2022,9/15/2022, 1/15/2023