How to Clear and Start Over 2020 State Return?

I am using 2020 TT Deluxe CD/Download Windows. My Federal return is completed but not eFiled. The software then asked if I wanted to start my state return.

I am partially into the state return step-by-step but  need to clear it, start over and choose married filing jointly. I see lots of instructions for the online people but no instructions for my software. How can I begin my state tax return over in order to choose married filing jointly? (VERY worried I might mess up my Federal return.) Thanks for any help!

Hal_Al
Level 15

State tax filing

Which state?

Many states do not allow you to use a different filing status than what you used on the federal.  If your state does not allow that, the software will not give you that option.

State tax filing

Thank you for responding and maybe you can help (see below). I’m using TurboTax Deluxe Cd/Download Windows. 

I’m filing a 2020 Montana state return and it was TT that said Married Filing Separately was the most advantageous. After sleeping on it, I decided to bite the bullet and spent the whole weekend allocating the percentage of each and every entry made in 2019 - what a pain in the neck! 

Now my problem is that even though I went through the step-by-steps to itemize on Federal (as we do each year so the info will feed into our state return), I’ve reached a screen MONTANA ITEMIZED DEDUCTIONS MFSC that says: To itemize deductions on your Montana return you must go back to your federal return and enter your federal itemized deductions there.” I already did that weeks ago and I have even printed out 2020 1040 Schedule A and the 2020 Itemized Deductions Schedule for Montana. All the info is right there but TT says I have to do it again. 

Sorry, but after a whole weekend on this State return I cannot believe there is a mistake in the 2020 software. I did the 2019 returns and everything flowed perfectly so I know it has to be this year’s software. Thank you for any help you can give me.