Can I deduct health insurance premiums on Oregon state taxes

It asks for medical expenses for each of us, but we pay total.
GeoffreyG

State tax filing

Yes; you can deduct the out-of-pocket (i.e., unreimbursed) expenses paid for heath insurance premiums, and other medical care costs, on your Oregon tax return . . . subject to several restrictions.  This requires further explanation.

If you are are age 63 or younger (as of 2016), then you need to have deductible medical expenses that, in total, exceed 10% of your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) in order to qualify for a federal, or Oregon, tax deduction.  Even then, you must have enough Itemized Deductions together, including medical, to exceed the Standard Deduction for your filing status.  Fewer than 1/3 of taxpayers meet the latter standard, and even fewer the former standard.

But, if you are (in 2016) age 64 or older, in Oregon, and have deductible medical expenses of any sort (including health insurance premiums not reimbursed by anyone else), then you can be eligible for the Oregon "Special Medical Deduction" benefit available to seniors.  You can read the actual, and relevant, text of the Oregon law here:

https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/316.693

For practical instructions on how to claim this in TurboTax, however, as well as a more detailed explanation of this special Oregon tax benefit, please refer to the following clickable links:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3850484

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3828079

Thank you for asking about this.

View solution in original post

B Parry

State tax filing

Hi GeoffreyG, 

The "clickable links" at the end of your message do not currently go to a topic; they just redirect to the Intuit Community home page. Any idea how I can get to the meat you were referring to, the "practical instructions on how to claim this in TurboTax, as well as a more detailed explanation of this special Oregon tax benefit"? Thanks.

(I searched at the Intuit
community home page for this topic, but the only hit was your June 4, 2019 message that had just directed me there, so a circular path and no help.)  

State tax filing

Can i deduct health insurance premiums on Oregon state taxes

PattiF
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

Yes, you are able to deduct medical expenses if you or your spouse turned age 65 by the end of 2020. These would be reported on OR-ASC.

Oregon has a special medical subtraction.

• Special Oregon medical subtraction. For tax year 2020, you or your spouse must be age 65 or older on December 31, 2020 to qualify for the subtraction.

Special Oregon medical subtraction [code 351]. If you or your spouse were age 65 or older on December 31, 2018 and have qualifying medical and/or dental expenses, you may qualify for the special Oregon medical subtraction. See the 2020 IRS Publication 502 for types of qualifying medical and dental expenses. You cannot subtract medical and dental expenses:

• For anyone under age 65;

• For dependents, regardless of their age; or

• That have already been deducted on your return.

You may not claim a subtraction if your federal adjusted gross income (AGI) exceeds $200,000 ($100,000 for those who file single or married filing separately). Use the special Oregon medical subtraction worksheet to determine the amount of your subtraction.

See this link for more information from the Oregon government.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

State tax filing

HI,

Can we itemize for all our medical on Oregon state return, in addition to the special medical subtraction (for one of us)? One of us is old enough to qualify for the subtraction.

Thank you

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

State tax filing

Yes you will itemize all your medical expenses in addition to the special medical subtraction for the qualified taxpayer on your return. 

You will itemize your medical expenses in the Federal interview under the "Medical" topic, even if they are not used as deductions on your federal return. 

Next in your OR state return you will be asked to enter the part of the medical expenses that should be allocated to the qualifying taxpayer (over age 65) for the special medical subtraction.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"