CassandraLO
Intuit Alumni

After you file

There is nothing you need to do but if you would like to contact the IRS, to see if they can provide you with additional information, I have listed the IRS contact number and how to get through to them at the bottom of the page. Where’s My Refund? will give you a personalized date for your refund, once the IRS approves your refund. 

This is normal if the IRS had required additional review on your tax refund. There are a few reasons your refund may be taking a little bit longer, I have listed some information below.

Even though the IRS issues 9 out of 10 tax refunds within 21 days, it's possible your return may require additional review and take longer to process.

For some taxpayers, PATH Act requirements and other identity-protection safeguards implemented by the IRS may account for longer wait times.The IRS started issuing tax refunds on returns with the EIC or Additional Child Tax Credit on February 27, 2019.

Other things that can delay your refund include but are not limited to:

• Liens, back taxes, or refund offsets;
  • Errors, inconsistencies, or missing information;
  • Identity fraud;
  • Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation, which can take 11-14 weeks to process.

Also, if you chose direct deposit, your financial institution may need another day or two to post the refund to your account, so keep that in mind.

Here is the general timeline of e-filed returns:

Transmission > Acceptance > Processing > Approval > Refund.

You can contact the IRS directly and see if they can give you any details on your tax return status:

Please call 800-829-1040 and do the following:

1. Press 1 for English listen to the recorded message

2. Press 2 for answers about personal income taxes listen to the recorded message

3. Press 1 for questions about a form you already submitted

4. Press 3 for all other questions

5. Press 2 for all other questions

6. Enter your social or ein confirm type (social or ein) and confirm if the number is right by pressing 1

7. Listen to all options then it will say if you have not heard your topic please hold

8. Next, it will say if you owe money and agree with the amount press 1

You will then be transferred to a representative after a general message from the IRS

(Note: If call volume is too high they will ask you to call back)