kuhnemd

I entered wrong SS amount. I refigured manually and my refund goes down $37. Should I wait until I get my refund and then return $37 to the IRS?

PaulaM
Employee Tax Expert

After you file

What do you mean your entered the wrong SS amount, and on what form?

Always wait until your original return is fully processed and you have received your refund before beginning the amending process. If your return is rejected, then you can go back in and make the changes.

Although the 2017 amending instructions and forms are not yet ready, use the link below when they become available.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

kuhnemd

After you file

I did the free efile 1040a through Turbotax and I entered what I received each month for Social Security rather than full figure before medicare part B taken out.   With the full SS figure my refund goes down from $683 to $646.
PaulaM
Employee Tax Expert

After you file

Ok. Wait until the original return is either accepted or rejected. If rejected, then you can go back in and back the change. If accepted, then wait for the refund. Then follow the amend instructions above when available.
kuhnemd

After you file

Thank you Paula.
PaulaM
Employee Tax Expert

After you file

You're welcome! 🙂