My refund is processing but want to change way i recieve it . dont want to pay dor having it taken out of refund

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

After you file

Are you thinking that the tax that you owe to the state will be taken out of your federal refund? That can't happen. There's no way to do that. If you have a payment due on your state tax return you have to pay the state directly yourself. You can send a check or use any other payment method that your state accepts.

After you file

Not sure if "dor" means dept of revenue or if it was a typo for "for"
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
cleef39

After you file

@xmasbaby0 Actually, there is a way for the state tax to be taken out of the federal refund. I'm not going to use my exact amounts since they will be example amounts. Ex: Let's say it shows that you're getting three twenty five back from Federal and it originally shows you get the full refund, but it also shows you owe the state fifteen dollars. three twenty five - fifteen = three ten. e.g. You already put in your checking acct. info to pay the state, yet when you double-check your federal refund, it shows that you're getting back three ten instead of three twenty-five since you owe the state fifteen.

Also, I thought "dor," was a typo for "or." It seems like they don't want to pay at all...but if they owe the state taxes, there's no way to avoid not paying for it. State taxes have to be paid for. The best recommendation I have for her is that if she doesn't want the amount taken out of her federal refund is to call the TurboTax customer service line. But state taxes have to be paid for no matter what. And the reason I know the above is because it happened to me. I asked a question about it on here, but haven't gotten any answers. And anyways, I originally wanted to be taken out of my refund, so idk why they even asked me for my checking acct. info.
cleef39

After you file

Sorry I don't know why mine showed up twice on here.
cleef39

After you file

Sorry I don't know why mine showed up twice on here.

After you file

Your state tax due cannot be paid from your federal refund.
It is not possible to pay your state tax due from your federal refund, nor is it possible to pay a federal tax due from a state refund.  The federal and state treasuries are completely separate from each other.  You may have seen a TurboTax summary of your federal and state amounts that confused you into thinking one was “paying” the other.  It is not.  If you have federal tax due you can pay by mailing your payment, having the payment taken out of a designated bank account, or you can pay directly on the IRS website.  You must pay your state tax due using the state’s preferred method of receiving payment.  For most states that will be by making a payment to the state’s own tax website, or by mailing a check or money order.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

After you file

It is too late to change how you want to receive your refund if you already e-filed.  If you requested to have the TT fee deducted from your refund you are stuck with that choice unless your return is rejected when they begin to process returns at the end of the month.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to make changes.  Otherwise, you cannot change it.

View solution in original post