hharrisoh

If my daughter started college in fall of 2015 for the 2015-2016 school year, is 2016 her first year of college or 2nd?

ThomasM

After you file

When TurboTax asks Is This her first year of college?, it's only asking in order to then ask if she received the American Opportunity Credit (or Hope Credit) in a prior year, and if so, for how many years.  The AOC is only allowed to be taken in four tax years (in other words, on four tax returns max); that's why you're being asked this.  So the answer to the question is that 2016 is not her first year of college.  But the calendar years attending school don't matter in and of themselves.

In addition, the AOC can only be claimed for the first four years of post-secondary education, but those are measured by the number of credits earned (thus freshman, sophomore, junior, senior).  So, again, the calendar years attending school are not an issue.

View solution in original post

nancysk

After you file

ThomasM,

That was a great and succinct answer.  My daughter started her freshman year in August 2018, and we did get the credit for 2018, so I guess we will get it for 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021.  Last semester of senior year will be in winter/spring 2020, so I guess we are out of luck for that. 🙂  

Thanks so much for your help!!!

After you file

@nancysk You cannot get the American Opportunity Credit more than four times for a student, even if your daughter is in school for longer than four "school" years.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3262983-who-is-eligible-to-take-the-american-opportunity-tax-credi...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
nancysk

After you file

Yes, I understand - appreciate the feedback!