dgrade

Is there not a download and bringing data and other detail forward from prior year?

I have used Turbotax for years.  This year I am not seeing a download and thus am stuck with "Start Free".  It appears that therefore there is no ability to bring forward prior year information and therefore I need to reenter all the detail for all the repeating forms that I need to submit.  In my case, that is taking forever.  Does that mean I do this every year?  This may be the end of a what has been a good thing!!!

Under the "Select Platform" below, how do I get to the CD/Download Windows?--that is what I want!

JulieCo

After you file

You will be able to transfer your prior year return information once you have downloaded the 2017 TurboTax software that you want to use.   

Here is a link to the current CD/Download products:  TurboTax CD or Downloadable Product Information

Once you select to buy the TurboTax version you want, it will ask you whether you want the Windows or Mac version downloaded. 

After the software is downloaded, you will open and say you want to start a new tax return. You then will be asked if you want to transfer your prior year's information.

View solution in original post

After you file

I am finding turbo tax to be horrible this year, worst in 20 years

I want to use the CD version because it is better for self employed but did not save my 2018 on line version to txt file

So i had been told to start the 2019 version on line.. which would bring over the 2018 data and then save it and then load to the CD version and transfer the data

That seems to mean have to reenter all the personal data again

I had major problem with data entry when put my son ssa in wrong names 

After you file

No.  If you start a 2019 online return in the same account it will transfer the personal data from 2018.  Then you can download the 2019 .tax file from online and just OPEN it in the Desktop program, go up to FILE-OPEN.  

Did you have problems with your son's SSA in the 2018 return?  Or just now doing 2019?  And are you using Windows or Mac Desktop CD program?

After you file

I had their ssa backward for 5 years and only IRS discovered when one turned 18

i started the on line version but it does not seem to bring over the previous years return until you buy it

Do i have to re enter all personal data

After you file

Ok ... if you used the 2018 ONLINE version then you must start the 2019 return just long enough to register the account ... then you have 2 options... either way will pull thru the prior year info ... then make sure to correct the SS issue in the MY INFO tab.  

1) download the .tax2019 file and OPEN it in the 2019 Downloaded version 

2) download the .tax 2018 file and transfer it into the 2019 Downloaded version 

How do I access a prior year return?

You’ll need to register first if you don’t already have access to your prior year returns under Your tax returns & documents as you sign in to TurboTax.

Before starting, make sure you’re using the same TurboTax account (with the same username) as previous years.

To access:

1. Choose TurboTax Free Edition when starting if you haven't already done so.
  2. Follow the screens and provide some personal info. 
  3. When you’ve reached the Personal info summary screen, select Continue.
  4. Then, select File in the left-hand menu (this is just a step in order to register, you won’t actually be filing).
  5. Continue until you get to Review your order and select Start.
  6. Select View payment options.
  7. Then continue until you get to the registration screen.
  8. Enter your info and select Register, then Continue.
  9. Go to Tax Home in the left-hand menu.
  10. Under Your tax returns & documents, go to Download/print return (PDF) (select Show if not visible).

Related Information:

wilssons

After you file

cannot transfer data from prior year turbo tax to the 2019 version.

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

After you file

If you are having trouble transferring your 2018 taxes, please make sure you're in the right account first.

Account Recovery Request for your TurboTax Account   

If you still find you're having issues, please contact customer support below.

What is the TurboTax phone number? - Community

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"