I have a notice from the IRS that my refund was applied toward a past due IRS tax obligation. How do I find out what I owe after that has been applied? Help!!

I knew I owed some money, I think, from 2014, which is fine, I just need to know how much I still owe.

After you file

Go to this IRS website for your account balance - https://www.irs.gov/uac/view-your-tax-account

After you file

The irs has a notice stating., my refund has been applied to a past due obligation such as child support I don’t know what they are talking about please tell me what’s my money I feel somebody in the irs stole my refund please help me find out wear it’s at 

After you file

They should send a letter to you. Mine said the same thing. I owe some state income tax which is fine because I knew I wasn't getting my state but my federal refund 🤔 only thing I can think of is do u have any past due student loans? That could be a reason also. Make sure u call the BFS to get info

After you file

Can u tell me what I owe for and the amount 

BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

After you file

@Tgreen1013, the only way to know how much debt remains is to contact the company/agency that you owe the debt to. We would not have access to that information. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Jaylenno
Returning Member

After you file

I have the same message. I have student loans,but those are being waived as of the 13 of March. I filed the 24th of March. What is going on? Is the system not updated or what?

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

After you file

@Jaylenno

You cant contact the IRS, and the Department of Education for more information.

Please contact the IRS Treasury Offset Department at 1800-304-3107.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Jaylenno
Returning Member

After you file

OK. But is this just a formality? Has the IRS not updated it's system yet? Does it automatically get forwarded to the Treasury department and and then waived from there or what?