virizarr

I need to mail my PA tax return but I'm not sure if I need to include any additional documents. Where can I find out which documents I need to include?

TomK
Expert Alumni

After you file

Your filing instructions should print out with your return.  Also...

An acceptable return has not been filed until all schedules required by the department have been filed. Failing to provide required schedules may not only delay the processing of your return, but also subject you to late-filing penalties. Assembling Your PA-40 Arrange your documents in the following order when submitting your 2018 PA tax return: 

• Original PA-40. Do not mail a photocopy of your PA-40 or a copy of your electronic PA tax return. 

• PA Schedule W-2S, or photocopies of your Form(s) W-2 (be sure the information is legible), or your actual Form(s) W-2. Use Part B of this schedule to list and total your other taxable compensation. You must submit photocopies of your Form(s) 1099-R and other statements that show other compensation and any PA tax withheld. NOTE: Do not include copies of Form(s) 1099-DIV, and 1099-INT, unless the forms show PA income tax withheld. 

• PA Schedule OC, and the required supporting documents when claiming any of the restricted tax credits that PA law allows. 

• PA Schedule(s) RK-1, PA Schedule(s) NRK-1. If you did not receive PA schedules, then submit federal Schedule(s) K-1. See Partnership, Limited Liability Company and PA S Corporation Partners, Members and Shareholders on Page 14. 

• PA Schedule(s) G-L. If you are claiming a resident credit for taxes paid to other states, include each schedule followed by any required supporting documents for the schedule. 

• All other required PA schedules and forms, including any additional sheets you prepared. 

IMPORTANT: Please include your name(s), Social Security number(s), tax year, and a brief line reference to the PA-40 or PA-40 schedule for any additional sheets you include with your return. 

• All other required documents, including federal schedules (where the instructions allow the use of federal schedules), that explain the information you entered. 

• Using PA Payment Voucher (Form PA-V) and payment. See the instructions beginning on Page 23. 

IMPORTANT: Do not staple your check or money order to your Form PA-V or your PA-40 form. If you do not use a Form PA-V, see the instructions on Page 24. 

https://www.revenue.pa.gov/FormsandPublications/FormsforIndividuals/PIT/Documents/2018/2018_pa-40in....

yeldarb

After you file

saying "• All other required documents, including federal schedules (where the instructions allow the use of federal schedules), that explain the information you entered. "  really isn't that helpful.  The point of buying Turbo Tax is that it should tell us what is required.

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

After you file

TurboTax prints out all the state tax forms (including federal attachments) that you need to file a state return @yeldarb.

Send all the forms.

Read the cover sheet in front of the Pennsylvania return. It will give you instructions for an additional 

forms to send.

Mail your return by certified mail with proof of delivery so you have proof that your return did not get lost in the mail.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

After you file

From my experience TurboTax does not provide instructions on the necessary supporting documents that are due with a PA-40.  It prints a line that says "Be sure to mail all pages of your signed return along with any required attachments".  The instructions provide no guidance as to what attachments are required.  

After you file

AMEN.

It's not helpful at ALL!