Tasha651
Returning Member

Will the irs give me my money back? I messed up and amended my return. The irs had already made changes reflecting my mistake showing I owed $207. I paid that and $1,400?

I wasn’t able cancel the pending withdrawal of the $1,400. So now I’m trying to figure out how to get my money back.

After you file

if it's all for the same year and you have an overpayment, the IRS should refund it. but this could take 6 months or more 

Tasha651
Returning Member

After you file

Ok sounds great. Thank you!

After you file

If you amended away a stimulus payment, 1040-X line 15, then you may not get your money back automatically.

@Tasha651 

Tasha651
Returning Member

After you file

Oh no…that’s not good. I tried calling and IRS keeps saying they’re too busy/call back later. I over amended my taxes after finding out I owed $207. So the $1400 was taken out the same day in a separate transaction. 

After you file

1) do not do anything else until the original tax return has been processed.

2) do no do anything else until the amendment is processed (that will take 9=12 months from the time you submitted)

3) once the dust has settled, if necessary, send in another amendment to correct anything left.  But you really need to wait until 1) and 2) are resolved in case the IRS makes adjustments you weren't expecting. 

4) be patient!

Tasha651
Returning Member

After you file

Thanks for your reply. I'm feeling a bit silly about my mistake. My fault for trying to correct it when IRS was able to correct it once already. I'm so tired of taxes. 😭

After you file

IRS has two million amended returns to look at.

They have a certain number of examiners to go through those.

After your 1040-X is processed they will send a letter telling you what they found.

They say they are working through in order received , but I don't believe it.

@Tasha651