Can someone help with amending a 2017 return which I filed in 2019? It has been less than 3 yrs since I filed it. That's ok with IRS to do.

So I downloaded my 2017 .tax file from Turbo Tax online to my computer. Opened my desktop version to amend it, but can't unzip it? The desktop version says it can't open a .tax file older than 2018! What's up with that?

After you file

Unzip it?  What did you download?   You need the data file ending in .tax2017 and the 2017 Desktop program to open it.  But it is too late to amend 2017 and Turbo Tax doesn't have the 2017 program anymore.

After you file

You may have misunderstood.   You cannot get any additional refund by amending a 2017 return now, since it is more than three years past the original filing deadline for the 2017 return.   It goes by the filing deadline for the 2017 tax year, not by the fact that you filed two years after the deadline.   What are you trying to change?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

After you file

@glassrestoration - the deadline for getting a refund from the 2017 tax year was April 15, 2021....so you are past the deadline. 

However, if your reason for submitting an amendment is you believe you owe more tax, then you'll have to amend.