Anonymous
Not applicable

My amended tax form did not let me change my dependency status. How do I fix this?

On my original tax return I did not say I was a dependent. I sent an amended form which did not have an option to change this; however, I added an attached note saying that was the purpose of my amended form. It was accepted, however, I am still not a dependent; therefore, my parents cannot claim me as a dependent on their taxes. I have no idea how to fix this and the IRS is not taking phone calls to speak with an actual agent.

After you file

This is how you change your dependency status:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/changing-my-dependent-status...

Your parents will have to mail their return since amended returns take more than 6 months to process. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

After you file

I did the amended form and there is no option on the form to change my own dependency status. The personal information section does not exist in the form right now. Is there anyone I can contact about this?

After you file

Even if you amend your parents will have to print and mail their return this year.  Once a ssn is in the IRS system you can't efile it again.   So they didn't have to wait for you to amend.

After you file

@Anonymous 

The only way to change to your status is to put it in writing in Part III Explanation on Form 1040-X.

Since you already sent an attachment, that should work also.

What did you mean by "accepted", did you get a response from IRS?

Anonymous
Not applicable

After you file

Thanks for your reply. For further context, Turbotax says my amended form was accepted (I e-filed it in the beginning of April) however, the IRS says it is still in process. Thank you for clarifying that it was correct to put the explanation in part III as that is what I did! My parents e-filed, claiming me as a dependent, and the IRS rejected their tax return due to me not listing myself. Does this mean that they need to send an amended form or just resend their original tax return physically since my form may not be processed for another few months? 

After you file

They must mail in their original return if they have not yet filed one and they can do so now, they don't have to wait on your situation to resolve itself.

Next take a look at your amended return ... did anything change on page 1 in column B ?  If not then the amendment changes nothing but the exemption allowance.  If the IRS doesn't accept the amended return you will get a letter later which you can respond to ... in the mean time do nothing more.

After you file

Your parents have to file on paper via US Mail.

The Taxpayer Advocate points out that this is a burdensome IRS restriction that only increases the paper workload on the IRS and causes delays.

@Anonymous