tcarness
Returning Member

Amend 2020 tax return for SS taxes

I just received a corrected form W-2C from my employer the USDA that said I paid more than my W-2 from 2020 by 995.98 I would like to amend it if it means I will get a refund for understating what I paid.  Thanks for any advice.  I made less than 75K so it might be a few dollars?

After you file

If you paid more than  $8537.40  for Social Security in 2020 then you could get a refund for paying excess Social Security.   Did you have more than one employer who withheld SS from your wages?    If the combined total withheld for SS  in box 4 of your W-2's did not exceed the amount mentioned above you will not get any additional refund, and you do not need to amend.      If more than $8537.40 was withheld by ONE employer you must seek a refund of the excess SS withheld from that employer.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

After you file

What did you pay more for?  The Social Security tax on W2 box 4 or another box?

For Social Security you don't need to amend for the Social Security tax.  Unless it increased and you have more than 1 employer and together they went over the max.  Or if you claimed excess Social Security and they reduced the ss tax.  

tcarness
Returning Member

After you file

the original amount was 2500, I got a letter saying I actually paid in 3400 so I was wondering if the 900 dollar difference would mean anything as far as taxes paid for 2020.  Heck, I would take 20 bucks 🙂

After you file

@tcarness Sorry--no you will not get a refund for that,   As stated earlier, unless the total amount withheld from your 2020 wages for SS exceeded $8537.40  you will not get a refund.   Not even twenty bucks.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

After you file

Sorry no.   The Social Security tax doesn't affect your tax return and you don't get any of it back.  It doesn't go on your tax return.   It is a mandatory tax.  It's not like federal and state withholding that you can get back.

tcarness
Returning Member

After you file

Thanks, it would be a pain to amend anyway.  Move on, look up.  

tcarness
Returning Member

After you file

Got it.  Thanks for the info