jwyjwy9

How do I change standard deduction to itemized on a TT 1040X?

IRS has accepted my return using standard deduction.  I want to keep all the entered data the same but change it to itemized so I can reap a refund from my State that is +$500 net for both Fed & State. (i.e., I pay more Fed but get a large State refund)  When I start a 1040X in TT there doesn't seem to be a way to just change from std deduction to itemized and have TT create the 1040X to file.  the 1040X Deductions section no longer has an option to change like the original form did. How do I switch Fed and follow-on State amended returns to itemized?

After you file

If you are using the CD/download version then switch to the forms mode and on the Information Worksheet Part VI there is a check box (top box) to force the itemized deduction even if less than the standard.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
jwyjwy9

After you file

Thx! Found it quickly due to your help. Worked great for changes to both Fed and State amendment forms.

After you file

Solved in comments.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post