tomgiske

I just realized I used the wrong amount for my RMD withdrawal on my return that I just filed. How do I change it?

Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

After you file

If you already submitted your return, then you will have to wait until your return has been accepted by the IRS and the amended forms are available then you can Amend Your Return 

The IRS is not accepting e-file returns yet. If you file or submit your return now, it goes into a "holding tank" until the IRS opens their system to accept the e-filed returns.  As of right now, any returns submitted are basically sitting in the post office waiting to be delivered. They are expected to start accepting them the end of January or up to mid February.  The exact date has not been announced yet.

Amended forms are generally not available finalized and available until mid- March so, you will need to wait until then if your return is accepted to amend. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

After you file

Does anyone actually READ this screen before they file ???

efile final step.jpg

efile 2021 acceptance A.jpgefile 2021 acceptance B.jpg

After you file

However, if your filing is rejected for some reason, then you can fix it and resubmit.

(Edited to add]:  It's also possible that the IRS will adjust your filing once it receives its copy of the 1099-R.