Ray1
Level 3

Attachment

I have e-filed my return and for one of the items in form 8949, I have attached a pdf file under C) Short-term transactions not reported to you on Form 1099-B and F) Long-term transactions not reported to you on Form 1099-B. In my return pdf file its typed as "Transactions - see attached statement." The "- see attached statement" is what turbotax has added. But when I open my return pdf file, I dont see that attachment. Is that normal or the attachments should also be visible in the return file?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

After you file

You cannot include an attachment in a tax return that you e-file with TurboTax. When you e-file and you have an attachment for Form 8949, you print the attachment and mail it to the IRS, attached to Form 8453, which serves as a cover sheet. TurboTax will fill out the Form 8453 for you and prompt you to print it.

View solution in original post

After you file

@Ray1 

Did TurboTax ask you to attach a PDF file with sell transaction details?

@rjs keeps saying this can't happen.

To answer your question, no, the attachment, if sent by TurboTax, would not appear in your PDF file.

View solution in original post

Ray1
Level 3

After you file

@rjs no, there was no prompting for print after submission. 

Ray1
Level 3

After you file

@fanfare well, that file was transaction details and turbotax asked me to upload 1098-B which isn't existing since the transactions weren't reported. That said what I uploaded was the datils in form 8949. It seemed like turbotax didnt have any problem with it.

I just want to know if TurboTax has sent that file to IRS or if I need to print and send it again. Its about 250 pages, and unless TurboTax hasn't sent it I dont want to waist that much paper. look here for what I have followed to report those transactions https://www.form8949.com/tto-e-file-attach-work-around.html

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

After you file

@fanfare  Son of a gun. That seems to work. It's news to me. But it's only in TurboTax Online. In the CD/Download TurboTax software, when you get to the sales totals screen it just gives you mailing instructions. There is no option to upload a PDF.

After you file

Well that explains why some filers get to upload a PDF and some don't.

Bizarre.

Also, using a third party and paying a fee and entering bogus sales lines is unnecessary, if you have any skill with EXCEL, you can put your own .csv data file into the form and manner of Form 8949 and attach that.

Put your name SSN and tax year at the top of the file.

Or mail it if you use CD/download.

Ray1
Level 3

After you file

Yeah, that's what I did 😀 But then I couln't see the attachment and thought that turbotax may have had a bug in it.

From this communication, its my understanding that turbotax online does not include the attachments in the view/print but sends them to IRS

dr3amr2

After you file

Did you ever figured out if TurboTax Online did included the attachment? I did the same thing for 2022 and when I open the return it's not showing the extra attachment that I included.   

JJ141414
Returning Member

After you file

I am also wondering about this. It's not in the pdf of my returns, but says there is an attachment. 

MarilynG1
Employee Tax Expert

After you file

If you're using TurboTax Online and downloaded a PDF file of your 1099-B transactions, you are correct that it's not in the PDF of your return.

However, you can add the PDF of your 1099-B transactions to your printed copy of your return (and save both PDF's together on your computer). 

@JJ141414 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"