Filed return, which was accepted. Refund never came. IRS says there was wildly inaccurate info on our return that was e-filed. How do I get Turbotax to address this?

IRS notice says our last names and s.s.

After you file

the input of data and answers to questions are done made by the taxpayer. Turbotax only does calculations based on what was entered. so is the error the taxpayers or did Turbotax make a calculation error?

I source to determine what happened or you could hire your own tax pro.

The Audit Defense service is provided by TaxResources, Inc., also called TaxAudit.com, in partnership with TurboTax. If you paid for Audit Defense and you received an IRS notice, call TaxResources, Inc. at 877-829-9695, or report your IRS notice on their website at http://intuit.taxaudit.com/. Do not contact the IRS until you have spoken to TaxResources. They may contact the IRS on your behalf.

After you file

What is wildly wrong?  Did you file without entering all your info?  A common adjustment is if you claimed the Recovery Rebate Credit on 1040 line 30 when you already got the 1st or 2nd Stimulus payments or got the second one after you filed or reported the wrong amounts. Do you have an amount on line 30? And you had to report the right amount in each box. If you put the total in 1 box it would give you the other amount again. The IRS knows they already sent it to you. Line 30 is only if you qualify more.

Turbo Tax is a self-prepared return. It has no way of knowing or checking that you entered something wrong or in the wrong place or entered something twice It doesn't check against any outside sources. The IRS has copies of all the W2s and 1099s your employer and banks/brokers, etc. sent in to match against. Turbo Tax only checks the calculations of what you entered. It is your responsibility to check it over before you file.

After you file

All data give was correct on the printed return. Income reported on the printed return is correct also. Double checked all the info, and then checked again.  Turbotax submitted a correct return, from the look of things, if they submitted the return that was sent to me when I downloaded it.  I have no idea what could have gone wrong. Everything looked as it has always looked when I file taxes for the last seven years.

Either the IRS has corrupted info, or Turbo tax filed some return in my name other than the one I downloaded. I live in a foreign country and cannot call from here. Is there any other way to speak with someone at Turbotax virtually, or any other way to converse with them about this?

After you file

@glwt562472 What is the form or notice number on the IRS letter you received in the mail?

After you file

IRS notification said I have our last names wrong, a few S.S. #s wrong, and underreported nearly $50k in income, which is not possible.  That is what went wildly wrong.

Again, I looked back over my return and verified all the info I entered was correct. There are no errors.

After you file

I have not received the letter, yet. We live in a foreign country and can't receive mail. I found out about the issue by going to the IRS refund tracker site, where I saw the notification and details regarding the changes they said they made to our return.  The only thing I have is a reference number to use when I talk to a representative.

After you file

Log into your account at the IRS to review the notice that you should have gotten in the mail ...

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

and then call the number on the website if you can. 

After you file

@glwt562472 TurboTax receives no information whatsoever from the IRS after the IRS has accepted the tax return.  You need to contact the IRS and speak with an agent.

Go to this IRS website for international calling numbers to the IRS - https://www.irs.gov/help/contact-my-local-office-internationally

After you file

@glwt562472 wrote:

IRS notification said I have our last names wrong, a few S.S. #s wrong, and underreported nearly $50k in income, which is not possible.  That is what went wildly wrong.

Again, I looked back over my return and verified all the info I entered was correct. There are no errors.

That sounds like the generic type notice the IRS has been sending to thousands of taxpayers in reference to the Recover Rebate Credit that was entered on the federal tax return.

The letter from the IRS that you will receive probably is stating that you indicated on our 2020 federal tax return that you did NOT receive a stimulus payment and therefor the amount that you did not receive was entered on the Form 1040 Line 30 as a Recovery Rebate Credit.

However, the IRS removed the credit from your tax return because the IRS shows that the stimulus payment was sent to you.  By removing the credit this reduces your federal tax refund or increases the taxes owed.

Go to the IRS website for your tax account to see what the IRS has sent to you for stimulus payments - https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account

If you never received the stimulus payment shown on your account then have the IRS put a trace on the payment.  Go to this IRS website for how to start a trace - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-first-economic-impact-payment-topic-f-p...