TarrenB

Amended efile

I efiled w/ TT 2 days ago. The return was accepted and a refund was set to be deposited in 21 days (according to TT). However, I missed a 1099 and amended it. Now the amended tax return has been accepted, but I do not see the refund date. Is this normal?

After you file

Amended returns can take 5 months or more to process. 

After you file

First you should NEVER amend a return whose original has not been fully processed  and the original  refund has not been released.  Now you will need to wait for the original return to process (taking 2 months or more this year)  before the amended will even be looked at (lucky if you see anything before the holidays).  

In the future,  to avoid this issue,  when you are done with the return REVIEW it all completely, then sleep on it at least one night and then do another review of the entire return.   If you had done this the amendment would not have been needed ... so take your time filling in an important government form where you sign to attest it is true and accurate.  Millions of amendments could be avoided if folks simply took a deep breath and a moment before they file.