FL88
Level 1

IRS ignored form 8936 and reduced Plug in vehicle credit by $3500?

My refund came in $3750 less.    Turbotax filed with form 3800 and 8936. Therefore Line 20 on 1040 filed with amount of $7500.

Requested a transcript and I notice this:

F3800, F8801 AND OTHER CREDIT AMOUNT:................................$7,500.00
FORM 3800 GENERAL BUSINESS CREDITS:..................................$3,750.00
FORM 3800 GENERAL BUSINESS CREDITS PER COMPUTER:.....................$3,750.00
PRIOR YR MIN TAX CREDIT: F8801:..........................................$0.00
PRIOR YR MIN TAX CREDIT: F8801 PER COMPUTER:.............................$0.00
F8936 ELECTRIC MOTOR VEHICLE CREDIT AMOUNT:..............................$0.00
F8936 ELECTRIC MOTOR VEHICLE CREDIT PER COMPUTER:........................$0.00

The F8936 line comes in at $0.00.   Isn't this supposed to be $3750?

In Turbotax Schedule 3 line 6, form 3800 and 8936 is checked, with value of $7500.

Car is a 2021 model bought in December 2020

Thank you. 

patricia2000
Returning Member

After you file

I noticed quite a few incorrect items while filing my taxes through TurboTax and it is hard to get answers through TurboTax.  Most times you are just ignored.

After you file

certain vehicles no longer qualify.  review form 8936 especially lines 19 through 23. if you used it for business the credit can be limited. in that case review form 3800. the business use complicates things

100% business use and the $7500 would show up on form 3800 part 3 line 1y. that amount is then transferred to line 1. in part II the allowable credit is computed and shows up on line 38. any excess of line 1 over 38 is lost.

FL88
Level 1

After you file

Thanks Mike, I double checked the IRS vehicle website and verified it is $7500 for the make/model.

I entered 50% business use.  Turbotax calculated Personal portion $3750 credit, $3750 Business (form 3800).

So are you saying IRS only considers Form 3800?  Why did they ignore the $3750 personal portion on form 8936?    Another way to say it did Turbotax mess up by filling up form 8936?

Thanks for your time on this

After you file

AUDIT SUPPORT

TurboTax has a special phone number for help with IRS/state tax letters, which will be easier than going through regular Customer Support.   At the page below, click on the blue button that says "Get Help from TurboTax Support".  Then it will ask you what tax year is your letter.  Then it will ask you what the letter concerns. Then it will show you the phone number during posted business hours.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/irs-notice/audit-support/

FL88
Level 1

After you file

Called and they provided no help whatsoever.   I'll have to write to IRS and request they revert to original refund amount.  

After you file

When the return is changed you are sent a notice ... use the number on that notice to ask what happened ...

Call the IRS:  1-800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.  

So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info).  Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".   

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  

- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.  

- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Then press 2 and then 4 …       

It should then transfer you to an agent.

Or you can contact your local IRS office.  See this IRS website for local IRS offices - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1 or call 1-844-545-5640 to set up an appointment

Or you may want to contact a Taxpayer Advocate in your area.  See this IRS website for Taxpayer Advocate in your area and a toll free number - http://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

FL88
Level 1

After you file

For those in same boat:

I sent in a letter to IRS August 2021.

So far they have sent me 3 letters saying they need 60 more days to investigate.

Next update is April 2022.

FL88
Level 1

After you file

Update:  IRS refunded me $3750 + some interest.

Yay!!