I had a child born in August 2020. When I filed through TT online the system didn't file my child as eligible for child tax credit. How can I fix this and amend with TT?

Item 6 in "Top 7 Requirements for the 2021 Child Tax Credit:" explains how my child should qualify for full child tax credit.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/family/7-requirements-for-the-child-tax-credit/L3wpfbpwQ

After you file

When you answered the questions about your baby in My Info did you say the child lived with you the WHOLE YEAR?    You have to say that for a newborn in order to get the child-related credits.   If you chose some lesser amount of time that is what messed it up.

Wait until your return is fully processed and then you can amend.

Select your tax year for amending instructions:

What does it mean to "amend" a return?

·         Do I Need to Amend my Tax Return?

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

After you file

Thank you very much! this was exactly the problem. I was able to amend now and got the appropriate credits. It's already been approved by the IRS!

After you file

@miguelarce23 Glad you were able to amend to fix it.  But when you say it is "approved"    I think you have to mean the amended return was "ACCEPTED."  Accepted does not mean approved.   You are still going to have to wait for the IRS to process your amended return.

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

And.....while you have a return pending in the system you will not receive monthly advance child tax credit payments.   If you do not get the monthly payments you will be able to get the full CTC on your 2021 tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**