Child tax credit

I filed my 2020 taxes married and joint but 2021 will be filed separately due to divorce. How does this affect the monthly child tax credit? Should I opt out? 

After you file

@Pokrdlr143 wrote:

I filed my 2020 taxes married and joint but 2021 will be filed separately due to divorce. How does this affect the monthly child tax credit? Should I opt out? 

If divorced in 2021 then you file SINGLE, not separately.   If you are the parent that the child physically lives with in 2020 then, yes you should opt out, otherwise the payments will be issued to the filers on the 2020 joint return.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

After you file

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/advance-child-tax-credit-payments-in-2021

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**