Non Filers tool. Forgot to add Recovery Rebate Credit Info. What do i do?

So, I recently filed the Non Filers on IRS website for 2020. I added a child and selected the child tax credit box. However, I did not put anything under Recovery Rebate Credit. I have not gotten the 1st, 2nd or 3rd stimulus checks for the child. Question is, will I still get the missed stimulus checks if I didn't fill that out? If not, what do I do to claim them. I also used the Non Filers tool for 2019 but didn't add the child at that time. 

Will I have to amend my 2019 return and add the child in order to get those checks? If so, how on earth can I do that when I never filed a real return? I'm so confused.

After you file

Forget about amending 2019 to get a stimulus payment.  The IRS will not go backwards now and use 2019----only 2020 information can be used to get the recovery rebate credit.

There is not a "non'filer" tool to get the recovery rebate credit.

In order to get the 1st and/or 2nd EIP payment you must prepare a 2020 tax return and use the recovery rebate credit on the tax return.   The 3rd EIP payment is issued separately sometime AFTER the IRS processes your 2020 return.   There is no place on a 2020 return to enter anything about the 3rd stimulus payment.

If you have dependent children then make sure you enter the information about the children in My Info.

The stimulus check is an advance on a credit you can receive on your 2020 tax return.  If something went wrong or you did not get the stimulus check in 2020, you can get it when you file your 2020 return in early 2021

The Recovery Rebate Credit will be found in the FEDERAL REVIEW section. ( you should see "Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount”)  If you are eligible it will end up on line 30 of your 2020 Form 1040.

Make sure that you enter ALL of the stimulus money received for the 1st and 2nd stimulus for yourself, your spouse and your children.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-topic-j-reconciling-on-your-...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

After you file

Thanks for the reply.  I did fill out a 2020 non filer return, but I used the Free File Fillable Forms Tool as suggested through the IRS.gov website. I understand nothing is needed for the 3rd check, I assume they will figure that out. But for the 1st and 2nd how do i get those checks since I didn't put any info in the Recovery Rebate Credit box? Again this is for the child, not me, I got my checks already.  

Also I never claimed the child on 2019 non filers tool. How does that effect the checks I should have received?

After you file

@Banless Again----it has nothing whatsoever do to do now with your 2019 return.  There is nothing you need to do now in regard to your 2019 return.   Changing it will not have any effect on getting stimulus money for your child now.

The recovery rebate credit is based ONLY on what you file for 2020.   If you had prepared the 2020 return correctly and claimed your child, you should have seen an amount on line 30 of your tax return.   Was anything on that line?

If you prepared a 2020 return and did not use the recovery rebate credit to get the 1st or 2nd stimulus amount for your child on that tax return, then after it has been fully processed you can send in an amended 2020 tax return on a Form 1040X.   Do not expect quick results----it takes the IRS at least six months to process an amended tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

After you file

OK... ATTENTION  ... you did NOT file a NON filer 2020 return (since there is no such thing this year) on the IRS site just now ... what you DID do is put info into the NON filers PORTAL in order to get the ADVANCE CTC  payments being sent out shortly.  https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/advance-child-tax-credit-payments-in-2021

To get ANY of the stimulus payments you MUST file a 2020 return even if you have no income to report ... using the stimulus credit to get the first 2 payments then the filing of the 2020 return will release the third stimulus payment.

Use one of the IRS FREE FILE options  to file a zero income return :   

https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

After you file

Thanks for your reply. Your correct, I did use the portal. But once you file through the portal you can not file a normal tax return, why, I have no idea. I tried that yesterday on the turbo tax site, but my return was rejected because as far as the IRS is concerned, I already filed. 

Which brings me back to the question of, what do I need to do in order to get the 1st and 2nd checks since I didn't put in any info in the Recovery Rebate Credit box when I was on the portal? I hope I'm making sense.

After you file

We cannot tell WHAT you did.   There is not a "non-filer" portal for 2020 tax returns.   The only way to file a 2020 tax return is to actually prepare a Form 1040 and file it.   What exactly did you do on the IRS site?   Did you use one of the free filing sites to prepare a Form 1040?   That is not the same thing as using a "non-filer" site like they had for 2019.   There is literally NO "non-filer" portal site to use for 2020 just for getting a stimulus check.   We are a bit mystified and trying to figure out what you did.

So if you filed a 2020 Form 1040 but neglected to use the recovery rebate credit to get the stimulus money for your child, the only way to get it now is to amend the incorrect Form 1040 you filed.   You have to prepare a 1040X in order to do that.   I do not know if the free filing site you used will let you do that----what site did you use?   If the site does not provide a way for you to do that you might have to fill out the paper form by hand and mail it in.   Do you have a copy of the tax return you filed?

After you file

I used this site here https://www.freefilefillableforms.com which is accessed from the Child Tax Credit Non-filer Sign up Tool page on the irs.gov website. Once you use this tool it blocks you from being able to file a normal tax return. Now since I didn't put an amount in the Recovery Rebate Credit box (which is the amount they owe me for the 1st and 2nd check, which is for the child.)  there is no way for me to fix that now. 

I think your right about an amendment, but how do i amend something that's never been filed?

After you file

I understand what you are saying because I am in the same situation. 
When you use the non-filers tool on IRS.gov, you can no longer actually file a return. Somehow they count that as your return. So, yes...how do you file an amendment if you haven't actually filed a return yet? This is also my question....

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

After you file

You can prepare an amended return with TurboTax @Banless and @venusrising. You will have to buy the software and download it to a computer.

Get an IRS transcript that will show what you actually filed. You will need your original information to correctly file an amended tax return.

You can obtain an IRS transcript at Welcome to Get Transcript.

You can also make an appointment and visit your local IRS office.

To amend 2020 using TurboTax see How do I amend my 2020 return?

You can also use the IRS fill-in forms. See About Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

After you file

There was no "NON filer"  returns for 2020 ... if you did not get the first 2 stimulus payments then you had to use the regular program to file a real return.   If you have not yet filed a real 2020 return then you cannot amend it ... just complete and mail in a real 2020 return to get any stimulus credits you are eligible to get. 

JillS56
Expert Alumni

After you file

It sounds to me like you need to file a 2019 and 2020 to get your stimulus money.    My suggestion would be to file your 2019, 2020, and 2021 at the same time.

Filing your 2019 and 2020 will probably get you the 1st and 2nd stimulus payments.

Filing your 2021 tax return will get you the 3rd stimulus payment.   Filing your 2021 will also get you the Advanced Child Tax Credit/Refundable Child Tax Credit which depending on the age of your child could be either $3,000 or $3,600.   If your child is under the age of 6 then the credit is $3,600, if 6 and older then $3,000.

After you file

Ok, here is my other issue:
Using TurboTax, I did attempt to file an amended federal return for 2020, which it did complete, but it would not send it in due to not having done my state taxes for 2020. I am really trying to avoid sending it in manually because, one, I do not currently have a printer, and two, it's a lot slower. 
Is there any way to remedy this so that I can e-file the amended federal return? 

After you file

@venusrising 

You have 2 choices ...

1) use a local paid tax preparer who can still efile a 2020 return 

OR

2) mail it in yourself (save the return to a thumb drive then see if a friend/family member can print it for you or go to an office supply or library).