My extension was successful, but the tax payment did not leave my bank account yet?

I filed for an extension and was accepted. I also remember the form asking for my bank account and routing information, as well as the amount of tax I wanted to pay and on what date.

I set an amount to pay, gave the correct bank and routing information, and set the date for 04/15/2019. The payment has not left my bank account yet.

I called support and she kept saying "give it a moment" and I could tell she had no idea what was going on. She did confirm others were apparently complaining about the same issue.

Is this a systemic issue where payments are delayed? Did I somehow make a mistake on my bank / routing number? Even though I'm fairly certain I couldn't have since I copied them from the source...

I'm about to make the payment manually to the IRS but don't want to overlap with TurboTax...

MichaelMc

After you file

Please relax. All is as it should be. If you specified a payment date of April 15, the IRS or state taxing agency will credit your account as if the payment was received on April 15.

That said, it takes a while for payments to work through the system and clear you bank account. Please understand that no one here at TurboTax touches your payment. The payment information is passed through to the IRS and your state(s), along with the rest of the information that comprises your tax return. The IRS has to receive and accept your return, which under the best conditions can take anywhere from minutes to a couple days. As midnight on April 15 draws closer, the volume of returns in the queue becomes quite large, so it takes a while for the IRS to digest all that information, issue debits to the various banks, and for that information to get posted to your bank account.

Please do not issue a manual check to the IRS. Both payments will initially post to your account and it will take weeks or months for you to get a refund processed.

View solution in original post

After you file

That makes sense. I misunderstood the process. Thanks Michael!
MichaelMc

After you file

You are quite welcome! Have a good day.