How do I amend my tax return I need to to change my status as independent my parents do no clime me... Thank you

how do I change my tax return?

After you file

Did you already file? If you did.....

How to amend 2020 return

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-return/00/27439

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

After you file

Just because your parents don't claim you, that doesn't mean you are independent. If you qualify as a dependent, then you are not entitled to any benefits that an independent taxpayer would receive. You still have to indicate that someone can claim you on your return.

Qualifying Child

Relationship — the taxpayer’s child or stepchild (whether by blood or adoption), foster child, sibling or step-sibling, or a descendant of one of these.

Residence — has the same principal residence as the taxpayer for more than half the tax year. Exceptions apply, in certain cases, for children of divorced or separated parents, kidnapped children, temporary absences, and for children who were born or died during the year.

Age — must be under the age of 19 at the end of the tax year, or under the age of 24 if a full-time student for at least five months of the year, or be permanently and totally disabled at any time during the year.

Support — did not provide more than one-half of his/her own support for the year.