chasego89

I need help doing a amendment for my state taxes

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

After you file

To amend the state only, sign in to your TurboTax account if you're not already signed in.

1. Under Your tax returns & documents (you may need to scroll down or select Tax Home first), select Show to open a list of options.
  2. Select 2020 and select Amend (change) return, then Amend using TurboTax Online.
  3. Select the reason you’re amending and continue.
  4. Answer the questions about your federal return, even if they don't apply. You'll eventually get to the screen Let's get started on your state taxes.
  5. Keep going and we'll present you with the option to amend. In some states, this appears right at the beginning; in others, it appears towards the end of the state interview.
  6. When finished, we'll provide printing and filing instructions for the amendment. Your state may take several months to process it.

Once the amendment is triggered, and the correction has been completed, follow the prompts for how to submit it to the state. Only Georgia, Michigan, New York or Vermont amended returns can be e-filed. All others must be paper filed.

If your tax return changed due to the retroactive tax law changes passed in March, 2021, check with your state's Department of Revenue to confirm an amended return is required. Many states are automatically correcting returns for some matters. 

When preparing an amended state return, it is important to select the option to paper file the federal so that the amended federal tax return will not be e-filed.

For more information, see: Do I need to amend?

To reach out to your state, start here: How do I contact my state Department of Revenue?

raving47
Returning Member

After you file

I efiled both State and Federal Taxes, then received two letters March 24, 2022 for Interest on  1099INT forms. I have corrected the Federal Tax, but I don't know where to add these interest of $66.00 on the Georgia State tax forms...any suggestions?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

After you file

When you make changes to the federal return during the amended process, this information will also transfer to the state return.  Once in the state return you will be asked if you want to amend your state return.  Below is an example of the Georgia (GA) amendment question.  Continue through the GA return until you reach the screen  'A few things before we wrap up your state taxes'.

@raving47

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"