dkbellman

Why didn't Turbo Tax reduce the amount of my refund by $600.00 since I had already received my stimulus?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

After you file

The recovery rebate is on Line 30.   TurboTax calculates the amount on Line 30 by using the income level and dependents on your 2020 tax return.   Then you are asked about the payments you already received.   The amount you already received is subtracted from the amount you qualify for.   In most cases, the amount of the recovery rebate should be zero.   But if you indicated that you received less than what you qualify for, TurboTax will put that amount on Line 30.   

How do I claim the Recovery Rebate Credit in TurboTax?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

After you file

Did you enter your stimulus payments correctly in the recovery rebate credit section when you prepared your tax return?   You were supposed to enter the payments you received there so that the software could calculate whether you should receive any additional payments.   If you did not enter the payments correctly then the  IRS cross checks and reduces your refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**