Restrictions when amending tax returns

I am amending my 2020 tax return to change filing status from MFJ to MFS, and have the following issues:
1. I specified the bank account number to get direct deposit of the refund, but the account is blocked in the  amended return, and TT shows that the refund check  of the amended return will be sent to my home address. Is there  a way to request direct deposit when amending returns?
2. TT does not allow me to efile the amended return. It keeps showing that my Form 1040-X form is not done, and the check mark next to the MFS box is in RED. What can I do to remove this red mark and efile the amended return?

After you file

Per the IRS, Amended return refunds are only made by paper check. (But it would be unusual to get a refund when amending from MFJ to MFS, as MFS is very costly filing status. Are you sure you are doing it correctly?)

Efiling cannot be done when filing MFS in Community Property State.  Also, per the IRS, if the Filing Status differs from the Filing Status on the Original Return, then the Amended Return must be filed by paper.

Amended Return Frequently Asked Questions | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)

View solution in original post

After you file

Okay. I just scanned all your other questions. In the future, please keep your related questions in one thread. It makes it much easier for the folks trying to help you.

JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

After you file

No  The amended return can't be e-filed.  You need to print the 2020 amended income tax return along with its instruction and mail it to the IRS. The amended return refund can't be directly deposited to your bank account, and a refund check will be mailed to your address from the Internal Revenue Service  You may leave the red marks as is since your mailing your amended income tax return/s.

View solution in original post