wtf-wtf

I just received my $1,400 stimulus check in the mail so I need to amend my tax return to show that I receive my check because my refund as a total of the $1,400 Plus my

I need to amend my return I filled out something extra I can't remember what to show I did not receive my $1,400 stimulus and I just got it in the mail a check
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

After you file

You do not have to amend your tax return. The $1,400 payment is your third stimulus payment. It does not affect your 2020 tax return. The third payment will be reconciled on your 2021 tax return that you file next year.

After you file

There is no reason to amend because you received the $1400 3rd stimulus check.  There was no place at all to put anything about that check on a 2020 tax return.   You could, however, enter whether you received the 1st or 2nd stimulus amounts by completing the recovery rebate credit on your 2020 return.  Did you receive the 1st check for $1200 or the 2nd check for $600?  If not then you can still get those by entering it on a 2020 return or an amended 2020 return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

After you file

The IRS will not calculate the Recovery Rebate Credit for people but if you make a mistake on the Line 30 amount, the IRS will calculate the correct amount of the Recovery Rebate Credit, make the correction to your tax return and continue processing your return. If a correction is needed, there may be a slight delay in processing your return and the IRS will send you a notice explaining any change made.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
wtf-wtf

After you file

How do I amend my return showing my recovery rebate credit as 0 how do I remove my recovery rebate credit

wtf-wtf

After you file

I have never received my email from the IRS approving my tax return how do I check on the status of my tax return When I have moved and changed my addresses and my phone

wtf-wtf

After you file

The IRS has not approved my tax return yet and it has been over a month I fear I have made a mistake how do I check on my refund

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

After you file

@wtf-wtf wrote:

How do I amend my return showing my recovery rebate credit as 0 how do I remove my recovery rebate credit

You do not amend your tax return to correct or remove the Recovery Rebate Credit. If you claimed a Recovery Rebate Credit that you are not entitled to, the IRS will make the correction.