Paying Taxes

If I efile my fed and state tax return, how to I pay the amount I owe?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

After you file

During the filing process, TurboTax gives you payment options to choose or you can wait and submit payment when billed by the fed or state.  Your return has a document Form 1040V which is a voucher you can use to pay.

If a customer has a balance due, they don’t need to wait to file their taxes if they can’t pay.

Tax owed on the tax return is not due until the tax return deadline. This means you can file your taxes today and not pay the IRS or state until the tax return deadline.

For 2020, the federal tax deadline is May 17, 2021, and state deadlines have also been extended.

Customers who can pay by the deadline

Customers who can pay by the deadline should select their preferred method of payment in TurboTax. See the options for payment in this External FAQ: How can I pay my federal taxes?

Customers who can’t pay by the deadline

Customers who can’t pay by the deadline should still file their taxes on time. Filing on time avoids penalties.

There are a few options for customers who are unable to make their payments by the deadline:

Payment Plans

Applying for IRS short-term payment plan (Customer can pay tax bill within 120 days or less)

Applying for an IRS installment plan (Customer can pay tax bill in 121 days or more)

Paying on an installment agreement

State Payment Plans

Customer Commonly Asked Questions

TurboTax Links:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

After you file

A very nice person named Ebony was able to answer my question.  

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

After you file

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy you were able to receive a resolution.

@deanewest

navyallan

After you file

• Filed with Turbo Tax and return was accepted by IRS April 2 2021. I owe taxes and requested taxes be taken out of my bank account April 5, 2021. THAT DID NOT HAPPEN. My tax owed still needs payed. What do I need to do????????????????
AmyC
Expert Alumni

After you file

The IRS is behind in processing and debiting. You can call the IRS payments office at 800-316-6541.

@navyallan