KenT07

Unemployment

This was my first year being on unemployment and  I did not realize it needed added to a tax return. 
I did not add unemployment for the 2020 year but it doesn’t let me add it so, what do I do?

I had taxes taken out of all the benefits I received so I know I need to report and I have the paperwork to do so and I tried amending and turbo tax wouldn’t allow me to add due to pending IRS calculations.

My issue isn’t awaiting the IRS to fix my

return yet, I still haven’t ever added unemployment I waited months for the option to amend to become available and add it 

not sure what to do 

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

After you file

TurboTax does not let you add back the unemployment income because the IRS said not to amend for any issues related to unemployment.  You will need to amend to add but will have to wait, unfortunately.  The IRS will begin the manual processing in May.  

For details, click here: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-to-recalculate-taxes-on-unemployment-benefits-refunds-to-start-in-m...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
KenT07

After you file

Okay, my turbo tax updated and now shows my amend as pending and shows amounts that I am owed and what I owe to state now and I will just wait. It seems the amend went through turbo tax and they have it ready for whichever needs to happen but it’s just not filed