RefundJockey
Returning Member

WHY CANT I FILE AN AMENDED RETURN??? FIX IT.

JUST BECAUSE I HAVE UNEMPLOYMENT ON MY RETURN DOESN’T MEAN THATS THE REASON IM AMENDING IT, BUT YOUR ONLINE SOFTWARE DOES NOT ALLOW ME TO AMEND MY RETURN BECAUSE IT THINKS I WANT TO AMEND IT BECAUSE OF THE UNEMPLOYMENT TAX! I NEED TO AMEND MY RETURN AND THE LONGER I HAVE TO WAIT THE LONGER ITS GOING TO TAKE FOR ME TO GET MY RETURN. BS. 

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

After you file

You have up to three years from the due date of your return to amend or change something that was reported on your original return.  It is understandable that you want to get it taken care of as soon as possible.  However, due to the many changes in the tax laws that have been passed recently, the TurboTax program is still being updated.  

Take a look at the following TurboTax article for more information and click the link in the article to register your email address so that you will be notified when you can come back and amend your return:

Why can't I amend my return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
RefundJockey
Returning Member

After you file

The IRS approved amending with 1040-x electronically 2 weeks ago. Why the delay with TurboTax? Other major tax companies implemented the changes over a week ago. If it’s not unemployment related, I should be able to amend!! Why am I being blocked from doing so? Your answer is not sufficient.

RefundJockey
Returning Member

After you file

crickets...

After you file

TurboTax is still working with the IRS and with several states to be sure that there are no issues when a return that includes unemployment is accurate.  Until everything is resolved, you will not be able to amend.  

Why Can't I amend my return.

Click here to get notified when amend is available.

RefundJockey
Returning Member

After you file

I get that, but I’m not amended my unemployment. The IRS has approved amending returns for the 2020 tax year and I don’t like the fact that TurboTax is blocking me from doing so. 

RefundJockey
Returning Member

After you file

I’m responsible for my taxes not turbo tax. They are just the delivery service. I should be able to do whatever I need to do for my tax return.