msnyder

Do I still get free filings from a secondhand copy of TurboTax Premier?

If someone has already used a copy of TurboTax Premier to file 5 free federal returns, can I buy it and use it to file 5 returns for free also?

After you file

It isn't ethical for them to sell, or give it to anyone else.

Don't take part in any such transaction.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

msnyder

After you file

If the other person has uninstalled it from his/her computer, I don't see why it's unethical.  My original question still stands, however.

After you file

The terms of software  purchase and use specifically indicate that it is for use only on the original purchaser's own computers, and no one else's
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

After you file

It will be interesting to see what happens. I suspect there is some coding within the software that will prevent it.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

After you file

The five return limit is not just a TurboTax rule -- it is the law.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
msnyder

After you file

SteamTrain--Ah, I didn't realize that the TOS specified use only for the original purchaser.  And xmasbaby0--yes, that also makes sense.  Thanks to both of you!

After you file

Maybe no longer necessary...but here's some of it:

"2.2 You acknowledge and agree that the Software is licensed, not sold. You agree not to use, nor permit any third party to use, the Software in a manner that violates any applicable law, regulation or this Agreement. You agree you will not:

• Provide access to or give the Software or any part of the Software to any third party;
• Reproduce, duplicate, modify, copy, sell, trade, lease, rent or resell the Software;
• Transfer your license to the Software to any other party;"