mckmac8

Confusion over stimulus payment led to incorrect filing. Should I amend?

I originally thought I had just gotten the second stimulus payment not the first so I listed this in my taxes and filed. However, I just got a letter that was dated after I filed saying my second stimulus is coming now and I should get it soon. This must mean the payment I received was the first stimulus check. Do I need to file an amendment to correct this?

After you file

You cannot amend right now while your return is still being processed.  Wait and see ---the IRS cross checks for stimulus sent to you so they will probably adjust your refund before they issue it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

After you file

No, you do not need to file an amendment. The IRS will most likely make an automatic adjustment. Please see IRS Recovery Rebate Credit Q D2 What happens if I claim the incorrect amount? for additional information.

For additional information:

If you received Notice 1444 in the mail but have not received your payment as mentioned in the notice, then you need to request a trace and claim the Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2020 tax return. Please see How do I request a payment trace to track my first or second Economic Impact Payments?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"