snaganuma

Error on Schedule A. State and local tax amount is wrong. Correct amount does not change anything due to the $10,000 cap. Taxes already submitted, will I need to amend

After you file

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you just e-filed, nor can you stop it.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox on the corner.

If you left out a W-2, a 1099G, or a dependent, or a 1099 etc…DO NOT change your return while it is “pending.”  The changes will go nowhere.

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes to your tax return and re-submit your return. 

If the IRS accepts your return, however, then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return and e-file or mail  it in. You have to be able to work from that return exactly the way it was when it was e-filed originally.  You will need to use a form called a 1040X return.  These can take several weeks or months to process.

Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and start changing anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Sit tight and wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed.

snaganuma

After you file

Thank you for the information, but I do not think you quite understand the issue at hand, probably because I did not fully explain.  I entered all the needed data correctly.  When I tried to e-file, TurboTax would not allow me to send my taxes because the program had only charged me for the Federal Return, not State.  Even going back into the review and order menu, TurboTax would still not charge me for State.  After researching the issue on the forums I found that I had to delete my State Returns and restart them.  After doing this, the program charged me the appropriate fee for filing my State Returns and allowed me to e-file both State and Federal Returns.

A glitch did occur after I deleted my first State Return and started the State Return again.  For some reason the program created new phantom W-2's and 1099's that showed as an error in my final review.  I had to go back and manually delete them from the Federal Return process.   Nothing ever changed in the amount I owed and after I deleted the dual / phantom W-2's and 1099's the program said everything was fine upon doing a review.

After successfully e-file my returns, I went over the PDF copies of my return and found an error in the data on the Schedule A of the 1040 return.  For State and Local government taxes paid, the amount entered was incorrect.  Because there is a $10,000 cap on this deduction, the correct amount had no affect on my actual taxes due because with the incorrect or correct amount I was over the $10,000 cap and $10,000 was all that I could claim for the deduction.

Even though the amount I can claim as a deduction is unaffected by the erroneous data, the fact remains that on basically the worksheet of the Schedule A, the information is wrong.  My question therefore is do I even need to worry about this?  The error does not affect my bottom line tax liability, but will it come back as an issue next year when I try and file?