swazipips

I had a newborn during 2020, earlier in the year I was informed I would be able to claim 1,100 credit since IRS went by 2019 tax return information, how do I submit that?

I had a newborn in 2020, I was told children born between Jan 1 2020 - Dec 31 2020 qualified for the stimulus payment and that I would have to request that credit as "recovery rebate credit" in my 2021 taxes. I should qualify as I meet all the requirements/income but can't find the option to request it, can someone please help?
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

After you file

Yes, you can claim the Recovery Rebate credit for your newborn baby on your 2020 tax return. Enter the baby as your dependent on your tax return and indicate that he/she lived with you the whole year.

In TurboTax Online, to claim the Recovery Rebate credit please do the following:

1. Sign into your account and continue from where you left off
  2. Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Federal Review on the top of the screen
  3. On the next page titled Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click on Continue
  4. Follow the interview
  5. TurboTax will determine whether you are entitled to any additional stimulus
  6. Any stimulus amount remaining due to you will show as a credit on line 30 of your form 1040.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
swazipips

After you file

I am being told that I got the credit for everything already? my previous tax return had 2 dependents from 2019 and this year I have 2 dependents (including the newborn) is that why I am getting told I got all my credit? would I have include the previous dependent even tho I that dependent was no longer living with me to receive the 1,100 rebate credit or how do I request it for my newborn?

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

After you file

No, you would not include a person that is no longer your dependent on your return for the recovery rebate credit.

Yes, it sounds like you have already received the recovery rebate credit for the new baby.

So you received stimulus money for 2 dependents the first go-round and are also receiving the stimulus money for 2 dependents for the second check too.

It just happened that you added the new baby as a dependent in the same year that you lost the other dependent.