Early 2020 Return Accepted Before Feb 12th Opening?

Everything I have seen Tax season for 2020 opens Feb 12th 2021.  However, I got a text last night (Feb 9th) that my return was accepted.  I also see today (Feb 10th) "Where's My Refund" is showing accepted status!

So, 1st YAY ME!

2nd: what is up with that? 

3rd: What would be the estimate for being "Approved" with this early acceptance and then likely direct deposit?

After you file

I also received notification today that my federal return was approved. I am not sure exactly what that will mean for us as far as when we will see the DD but I would love to hear from anyone else who is in the same boat! I come to these forums every year for the past 3 years. Guess its time to start year 4! Good Luck everyone! 

After you file

• February 22. Projected date for the IRS.gov Where's My Refund tool being updated for those claiming EITC and ACTC, also referred to as PATH Act returns.
    First week of March. Tax refunds begin reaching those claiming EITC and ACTC (PATH Act returns) for those who file electronically with direct deposit and there are no issues with their tax returns.

2021 tax filing season begins Feb. 12; IRS outlines steps to speed refunds during pandemic | Interna...

After you file

From IRS Get Transcript Code 845 Refund Issued I am getting my DD on Feb 18th!

After you file

First welcome back to the snake pit everyone i got mine accepted last night i never get anything early and always file early but hoping this year it goes well

After you file

@RichardTx, are you a PATH Act Filer?  EITC?  ACTC?  Thx in advance.

Oh, and Kudos on your rapid turn-around!

After you file

Eitc/PATH act?

After you file

No, just a straight simple filling, standard deductible as Head of Household.   If there is anything I like with the tax changes over the last year or so is how simple filling is now and not having to keep up with other deductions I used to have to enter (itemize). 

After you file

Mine was accepted on February 10th and fiancés was accepted on February 9th so could be part of test batches. It's not uncommon to be accepted early. This years start date is late for system reprogramming for the stimulus claims. IRS might have gotten everything hammered out and is now accepting small amounts of returns each day. I fall under Path Act and any one who falls under that should not have to wait 2 to 4 weeks to see an update on WMR like years past.  IRS states Path Act returns have a projected update on WMR for February 22nd providing the return has no issues. 

After you file

My transcript says 846. 2/22/2021 I filed eitc child tax credit. anyone elce 

IF THIS HELPS GIVE ME CHEERS

After you file

Well, got my DD this morning, just like the IRS transcript said I would.  Funny thing - the normal "Where's My Refund?" Status (and TurboTax) only report "Return Received".  A bit worthless the "Where's My Refund?" page IMO.

After you file

Nope. Interesting since the IRS won’t be updating eitc before February 22

After you file

Actually, my perception was that the WMR wouldn't update for PATH until Feb 22nd. Yesterday, many got DDD that were PATH, including some who filed and were accepted well after the 12th. This included those who were once always in 'weekly' updates instead of "dailies".

I was accepted on the 11th, and still only have one bar (expected), and STILL have nothing on transcripts indicating they've even started on my return. It is definitely frustrating being part of a test batch that is seemingly sitting stagnant now. I hope those who truly need it get it ASAP, and overall the IRS is moving quite swiftly this year to help people.

After you file

@wgfpd154 

Yes, the IRS website said the projected date for the Path Act filers WMR to be updated is the 22nd although transcripts can be updated anytime before then. Irs always uses the latest worse case scenario ie the 22nd so some might see the WMR before then, specially the ones who have transcripts already updated. 

They are working in your return around the clock. Transcripts being updated means they are done.

Transcripts are updated on Wednesdays and Friday into Saturday for Path Act people. So ours could be done and we are just waiting for the transcripts to post to the system. 

I was accepted on the 11th as well and still no transcripts to view or anything. I have always been updated on the weekend and this year probably is no different. 

2018 it took 1 week for my taxes to update via transcripts and 2019 it took 2 weeks to update my transcripts yet my refund always came in the same week within the same day. 

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

After you file

Turbo Tax will not have a status on your refund. If the IRS website says processing, this means they are working on it.

Please use this link to track your refund from the IRS. Refund Status

This link will provide more information on this tax season. 

Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions Tax Season Frequently Asked Questions

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"