When filling out my 2020 income, under Refunds recieved for State/Local Tax returns is double the anount I actually recived in 2019, why?

MayaD
Expert Alumni

After you file

If you used TurboTax last year and you transferred last year’s tax data to this year's return, your state and local refunds are automatically brought over with your other tax info.

You don't need to enter form 1099G State or local income tax refunds, credits, or offsets. To avoid reporting the state refund twice, delete the 1099G form

• Sign in to your account.
  • Select Tools then Tax Tools from the left menu.
  • Select Delete a form.
  • Locate the 1099G form and delete it.

Last year's state refund might be taxable if all three of the following are true:

• You itemized deductions last year, instead of taking the standard deduction
  • You claimed state and local income taxes (not general sales tax)
  • Claiming the deduction helped you increase your federal refund or lower your tax bill

for more information please check  Do I need to report the state or local refund I got last year? Is it taxable?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

After you file

This was just one of the many problems I incurred with TurboTax this year. And I have sponken with at least one old co-worker who has incurred this propblem and others similar to mine. I had to clear my enitre form and reenter all my information for federal and state, then later I neded to delete my state again, and still needed to speak with a customer representative in order to get my forms efiled. Very, very frustrating. This is the first year that I or my co-worker had had any problems with your software and I hope that things will be better next year or I will be looking for another company. 

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

After you file

Thank you for sharing this information. It is our desire to find a resolution for you and others that might be having similar experiences in the program.