Recieved 2nd stimulus after efiling that I didnt

What should I do?  I prepared 2020 taxes using turbotax.  At the time of preparation, and filing, I had not recieved the second stimulus.  About 10 days later, the check came in the mail.  The tax return that was efiled has included the second stimulus in the refund.  Will the IRS catch this and deduct the $1200 from the refund, or is their something I should do?   Thanks.

DanaB27
Employee Tax Expert

After you file

If you have already filed your return you have the option to "recall" your filed tax return. If you want to review and update your 2020 return, please enter your information here by February 6, to have your 2020 tax return sent back to you.  You will then receive an email from TurboTax on February 8, letting you know that your return is available and providing you with detailed instructions on how to review, update and re-file your tax return.

Other than that you will need to wait and see if your return gets accepted or rejected. Please be aware that the IRS currently won't start processing returns until February 12, 2021.

• If your return will be rejected by the IRS, then all you have to do is make the changes on your return and refile.
  • If your return gets accepted you will have to wait and see if you receive your refund that includes the additional credit. If yes then you will need to amend your return and send the funds back to the IRS. Please see  FAQ How to amend a tax return for instructions.

But the IRS has not addressed the details yet. They will not open until February 12 and you would not be able to amend until that time and in the meantime, the IRS may establish a guideline. Please see this IRS Recovery Rebate Credit for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

After you file

I'm in the same boat but didn't see this message until February 7.  Can I still recall my efiled 2020 return?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

After you file

February 6th was the deadline for registration to review and update the Recovery Rebate Credit portion of your 2020 tax return before it is sent to the IRS when they open on February 12th.

If you have e-filed your 2020 Federal tax return and the tax return is accepted by the IRS, you will have to amend your 2020 Federal tax return and correct the entries and calculations to receive the Rebate Recovery Credit.

If you have e-filed your 2020 Federal tax return and the tax return is rejected by the IRS, you will have to amend your 2020 Federal tax return and correct the entries and calculations to receive the Rebate Recovery Credit as well as correct the entries that generated the rejection.

If you have not received your second stimulus check, you will receive your payment in the form of a Rebate Recovery Credit on line 30 of your 2020 Federal tax return when you file.

TurboTax will compare your one or two stimulus payment amounts to the computations within TurboTax.  The computations within TurboTax are based upon the information that you have entered into the tax software.  If you are due an additional amount, it will be issued as a Rebate Recovery Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return. 

In TurboTax Online, you are prompted to input stimulus check 1 and stimulus check 2 information under Review down the left hand side of the screen.

You can access your stimulus check choices by following these steps: 

•  Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Other Tax Situations.
  • At the screen Let’s keep going to wrap up.  Click on Let’s keep going.
  • At the screen Let’s make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click Continue.
  • At the screen Did you get a stimulus payment? you can update your stimulus check entries.

TurboTax will compare your two payment amounts to the computation within TurboTax.  The computations within TurboTax are based upon the information that has been entered into the tax software.  If you are due an additional amount, it will be issued as a Rebate Recovery Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return.

See also this TurboTax Help.

After you file

I filled out the form on February 6th and never got a email from TurboTax with directions for changing that part of my taxes. Haven't heard anything. Is there a reason why Turbo wouldn't follow up?

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

After you file

Don't cash the check and definitely don't destroy it.

The IRS has not addressed this yet. They did not open until February 12 and they will start to see situations like yours. You would not be able to amend until that time and in the meantime, they may establish a guideline. 

Information is continuing to be updated. Please see this LINK for more information.

Solved: Claimed $600 Recovery Rebate when I filed taxes ye... (intuit.com)