When I filed my taxes, it asked if i had received my second stimulus yet. I checked no because I hadn't yet. A couple weeks after I filed, I received that stimulus in the mail. What do I do?

After you file

TurboTax will let you update your return for the Recovery Rebate Credit, but beware that you only have until Feb. 6th (tomorrow) to make the change.  See the following for information:

The Recovery Rebate Credit is the way people who were eligible for a stimulus payment, but did not receive one or received less than the amount they were due, claim their stimulus payment.  However, if you have already received the full amount of your stimulus payment and also claim the Recovery Rebate Credit on your return, this will trigger a review at the IRS that could delay the time it takes to process your return and for you to receive your tax refund.

We know how important these funds are and don’t want you to experience any delay in receiving your tax refund. Since the IRS has not opened yet, we would like to give you the opportunity to review and update the Recovery Rebate Credit portion of your 2020 tax return before they open on February 12th. 

If you want to review and update your 2020 return, please enter your information here by February 6, to have your 2020 tax return sent back to you.  You will then receive an email from TurboTax on February 8, letting you know that your return is available and providing you with detailed instructions on how to review, update and re-file your tax return without the Recovery Rebate Credit.

If you do not want to review and update your 2020 return, then you're all set.  No further action is required. We will securely hold your tax return and send it to the IRS when they begin accepting e-filed returns.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/i-ve-already-claimed-the-recovery-rebate-credit-ho...

View solution in original post

hwzdavu

After you file

What do I do if it is after Feb 6th? Will TurboTax make an exception and let me edit it late?

-What should I do with the check? Cash it, then let the IRS sort things out or deny my taxes?

Thanks,

Joe

Kbhoerner

After you file

I had this same issue and I followed these instructions and completed the request by the 6th, however I still have no response in my email in regards to it being opened and editable? Could the email come later than the 8th or am I out of luck at this point and will have to wait for it to go through and emend it etc. I have not deposited my check yet due to this issue, wanted to wait till I knew it was resolved.