MGKenney
Returning Member

Federal and State Pending Return Status

I filed my 2020 Taxes with TurboTax E-File on Sunday 01/31/2021 and now its Friday 02/05/2021 and they still show "Pending" status. Is the IRS delayed this year accepting taxes or was there an issue with my TurboTax submission?

After you file

MY RETURN IS IN PENDING—what does that mean?

Did you e-file?  Did you click that big orange button that said “Transmit my returns now?”  If so, your return is now in “pending” on a server.  Do not try to change anything while your return is in pending. If your return is rejected you will be able to make corrections before re-filing.

The IRS will not be accepting/rejecting 2020 returns until Friday, February 12, 2021.  You need to watch your emails for the acceptance/rejection notice that may take until mid-February or later to arrive.   And watch your spam folder too.

When you e-file your federal return you will receive two emails from TurboTax.  The first one will say that your return was submitted.  The second email will tell you if your federal return was accepted or rejected.  If you e-filed a state return, there will be a third email to tell you if the state accepted or rejected your state return.

A state return cannot be accepted until the federal return has been accepted.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2021-tax-filing-season-begins-feb-12-irs-outlines-steps-to-speed-refund...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

After you file

If you e-filed your return before February 12th, it'll stay in Pending status until the IRS starts processing the backlog of returns.

Please see the TurboTax FAQ below for assistance with your pending return:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/return-status/help/what-does-pending-mean/00/26331

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"