I need help amending a current filed tax return

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

After you file

You won't be able to make any changes until your return has been accepted or rejected by the IRS. If rejected, you would need to correct any information that caused your return to be rejected as well as make any other changes to your return that you see fit, then proceed to resubmit your return. If accepted, you would need to amend your return. You can follow the instructions in this FAQ here to amend your 2020 tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

After you file

My taxes are done but l need to amend my taxes

MayaD
Expert Alumni

After you file

You will need to amend if you already E-filed or mailed your return and:

• You need to report a tax form you forgot about or received post-filing (most commonly a W-2, 1099, or 1095-A).
  • You received a corrected tax form after filing (the "corrected" box is checked) and the new info changes your refund or tax due amount.
  • You forgot to report income or claim dependents, deductions, or credits.
  • You accidentally claimed dependents, deductions, or credits you're not eligible for.
  • You made an error that affects your bottom line, such as reporting income or deductions in 2020 that should've been claimed in a prior tax year (in that case, you'll need to amend all affected tax years).
  • You need to change your filing status (for example, you want to change from Single to Head of Household).

If you need to amend your 2020 return you must wait until the IRS either accepts or rejects your return.

If the IRS rejects your return, you can make the changes and re-submit your return.

If the IRS accepts your return, you have to wait until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund. Then you can prepare an amended tax return and mail it in. 

1. In TurboTax, scroll down to Your tax returns & documents. Select Show and then select Amend (change) return, and then Amend using TurboTax Online. (If you don't see Your tax returns & documents, select Tax Home on the left.)
  2. Select the reason you’re amending and follow the instructions
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"