I did not receive the refund amount I filed for from the state, do you understand why

I didn't receive anything from the government stating why our refund was much lower for state.  

TomK
Expert Alumni

After you file

We don't have access to see your return, but you may be able to investigate below.  If your state refund was much lower, you will eventually receive a letter of explanation (but it may take several weeks).

Bureau of the Fiscal Service (BFS) will send you a notice if an offset occurs. The notice will reflect the original refund amount, your offset amount, the agency receiving the payment, and the address and telephone number of the agency. BFS will notify the IRS of the amount taken from your refund once your refund date has passed. You should contact the agency shown on the notice if you believe you don't owe the debt or if you're disputing the amount taken from your refund. If you don't receive a notice:

Contact the BFS's TOP call center at 800-304-3107 (or TTY/TDD 866-297-0517), Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST.

For more information: https://fiscal.treasury.gov/top/