IRS has no record of my tax return

I filed my 2018 tax return by mail in April of 2020, rushing to get it done in order to receive the Covid Economic Stimulus check. Here it is 6 months later and they still show no record of it. I can live with out the stimulus check, but am REALLY needing an SBA loan for my business that suffered substantial damages from Hurricane Sally. I sent my return certified with a return receipt, which I DO have. It is stamped, however it is difficult to read the month. I don’t know what to do. I’ve talked with the IRS who say that they are extremely behind due to Covid and to just give it time and please do not refile at this time, but the SBA has WITHDRAWN my loan application because of this. We are suffering. Any ideas what I can do?  This isn’t fair. 

After you file

MAILED RETURNS

The IRS has just started to work through millions of mailed returns that have been piling up in trailers during the pandemic.  All you can do is watch the IRS refund site to see when your return makes it to the surface and goes into processing. Sorry.

Per the IRS website IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continue:

IRS operational status and alternatives

Processing Delays for Paper Tax Returns: Taxpayers should file electronically through their tax preparer, tax software provider, or IRS Free File

We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

If  you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s. 

TurboTax will not know anything about your mailed return, and will continue to show “Ready to Mail” on your account.  TurboTax will not know that you put your tax return in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

After you file

@Stupidasur3 

I just re-read your post---you posted about a 2018 return.   A 2018 return is not going to show up on the IRS refund site.  Only 2019 refunds will show up on that site.  Sorry there are not any good answers to give you-----no one knows where in the pile of envelopes your 2018 return might be or how soon it will surface.  (or if it has surfaced and is being processed).  

You can try calling the IRS to see if it has been opened and gone into processing.  

To call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

After you file

Thank you for your responses. My husband and I, both, have spoken with the IRS two different times. I was told that as long as we have not submitted our 2019 return that the website would pull the 2018 return information. I’m not so sure about that though. If I could efile 2019’s right now, I would do that and just go with what I have and amend it later, but alas, the efile deadline for that has passed as well. Guess I should just keep calling them. Why does 2020 have to be so stressful?