Refund Overdue for Months

My original e-file was rejected. After amending the tax forms i was required to mail in paper forms, that was done in early March. I still haven't received my refund and the IRS website's tracker does not see it. Any thoughts?

After you file

When you say you "amended" your return and mailed it---what do you really mean?  Amending a tax return is a special process you only use for a return that has been filed and fully processed by the IRS.  Amending would be the wrong tactic to use for a rejected tax return---since a rejected return was never filed in the first place.

Did you actually prepare an amended return on a Form 1040X and mail it? Or when you say you "amended" do you mean you just made some corrections to the original rejected return, then printed and mailed it instead of trying again to e-file?

The difference is important.  We need to understand what you did in order to help.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

After you file

My original e-file was rejected because the other parent accidentally claimed part of a childcare credit that should have only been claimed by me since I am claiming the child as my dependent.  Since the rejection was due to the childcare credit Turbo said I needed to print in and mail my form. It wasn't actually amended on my side but my partner had to file a 1040X to delete the credit she accidentally claimed.....funny thing is her 1040X, along with the payment that was needed, was processed and the payment cashed over a month ago.

After you file

@jayhawks5566 Okay--so YOU did not amend your tax return--but you mailed it in?

The IRS has just started to work through millions of mailed returns that have been piling up in trailers during the pandemic.  All you can do is watch the IRS refund site to see when your return makes it to the surface and goes into processing. Sorry.

Per the IRS website IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continue:

IRS operational status and alternatives

Processing Delays for Paper Tax Returns: Taxpayers should file electronically through their tax preparer, tax software provider, or IRS Free File

We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

If  you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s. 

TurboTax will not know anything about your mailed return, and will continue to show “Ready to Mail” on your account.  TurboTax will not know that you put your tax return in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

When the IRS finally opens its mail and begins to process mailed returns you can check the status on the IRS site. https://www.irs.gov/refunds

State returns have to be mailed to the state.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

After you file

@jayhawks5566 

funny thing is her 1040X, along with the payment that was needed, was processed and the payment cashed over a month ago.

What really happened is the 1040X  envelope was opened and the check went to the bank for cashing  but the return went to the processing department where it is probably in a pile a mile deep waiting it's turn to be processed ... right now returns with refunds on them are getting pushed to the head of the line.