cfurey16

I need to delete a state return I accidentally started and does not exist. How do I do this in the iOS app??

After you file

You can delete your TurboTax Online state return as long as you haven't paid for it yet (or registered in a free version):

1. Sign in to your return, if you're not already signed in.
  2. Click State Taxes near the top of your screen and proceed to the Status of Your State Returns screen.
  3. On that screen, click the Delete link right next to the Edit button, and then answer Yes.

If you don't see the Edit or Delete button on the Status of Your State Returns screen and haven't paid or registered, please do the following:

1. Click State Taxes.
  2. Proceed to the Status of Your Returns screen.
  3. Click Start next to the state you want to delete.
  4. After the transfer of the information completes, click Continue.
  5. Once the next screen has loaded, click State Taxes and proceed to the Status of Your Returns screen.
  6. Click Delete next to the state that you want deleted.
  7. Click Yes.

In some cases, you won't see the option to delete, just Edit and Start Over. This is because you either already paid for your state or registered your free version while that state was attached to your return.

Related Information:

View solution in original post

After you file

I paid for a state return that I don't need. Now TT won't let me delete that state return (or, to be accurate, I can delete it, but it automatically start over and imports all data from the Federal return).  I would like to delete it without it restarting.  I already went into the "My info" and the "Federal" menus and changed all answers to show no other state income, but still it carries over.  Any suggestions?

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

After you file

Please review the following FAQ: How do I delete my state return in TTO @DJSMLS.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

After you file

Hello,

Thank you. However, I'd already reviewed that FAQ.  It says

"If you've already paid your TurboTax state fees ... you can’t delete your return, but you can start over."  

The problem is, I inadvertently paid for the wrong state and want to delete the return. Each time I select "Start over", TT copies all my data over to that same state and , well, I still have that state return!  Is there a way to remove it? (and not just avoid filing it)?

After you file

Please contact support via phone for assistance with this situation … contact details can be found here

After you file

Thanks for the reply.  Customer service states I would have to have a refund of the purchased product in order to delete the downloaded state return.  However, they declined my refund request needed to make that happen, so won't delete the return.....

mfeffer62

After you file

how do you unregister a free state return? I deleted state of Illinois as not needed but need to do WI but now asking me to pay for it.  I reviewed Illinois first by mistake.