Can I efile my federal amended return? IRS said I could starting August 1st?

After you file

Nope.  That is not operational yet  nor is there any word yet on when it will be implemented.  Not sure where you saw August 1.

You have three years from the deadline to file an amended return.  You can mail it now or wait for the e-filing option later--we do not know when that will be.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-announces-form-1040-x-electronic-filing-options-coming-this-summer-...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

After you file

My professional program says the IRS has not sent out any efiling code instructions yet so the programmers have nothing to program yet and once they are issued the programmers will need to construct, test the system and be approved by the feds before it can go live ... this will not happen overnight and no date has been mentioned yet.   I would mail in the amended return since this may not be operational for a DIY program this year.